Thursday, July 30, 2009

for such a time as this...

where to start...? the last two weeks in Africa have been kind of a blur for me, and i apologize for not updating more often, this might be a bit long of a post but bear with me, it's a good one!

my last post was on our last day in Tarime, and let me just tell you it was a most wonderful day, indeed. the kids and staff all came out and did a little bit of a "presentation" for us, which was really sweet and a big cry fest for many of the kids. it took all the strength i could muster to keep the salty tears in the ducts, and for the rest of the day we celebrated and played. for lunch we ate bread with butter and jam, something they rarely if ever get. Then we proceeded to have a field day of sorts, including tug of war, potato sack races, a three-legged race (in which my partner was bebe leah, a grandma who watches over the kiddos at night, talk about awesome!). then when the vehicles came to pick the kids up we waved as they drove off the property and our group stayed behind, walked down to the river to sing some worship songs and close up our time at Gamasara. after we trekked back from the river and waiting for our ride we laid in the grass in the open field and stargazed...it could have been the perfect way to say goodbye. my heart is forever in Tarime in such a powerful way and i know God did that for a reason.

speaking of goodbyes and "for such a time as this" moments...our next adventure was a little bit of a holiday, a trip to mombasa on the east coast of kenya, to the indian ocean. let me preface just a little bit. a few days before our departure from Tarime, i received an email from my friend Ashlee, telling me about a job opportunity through the General Board of Discipleship....called...Pray With Africa. it couldn't have been more perfect timing and as i talked, thought and prayed about it, i decided to email for more information. the day we left for mombasa i sent in my application and resume. when we arrived in mombasa, i heard that they wanted to set up a phone interview. yikes! so there i am on the beach, having a phone interview with a group of people from the states, for a job that would let me share my passion for africa across the United States. perfect. the next day i was offered the position and the day after that i accepted it. (for more information about it please visit, www.praywithafrica.org )

so, from then on out life has moved pretty quickly for me, we made our way back to Nairobi where i began the process of changing my flight, because i wasn't supposed to leave till August 4th but i have to be in Nashville on the 2nd to begin training on the 3rd. (forgot to mention that above) with all that said i am typing this blog from my home in Kansas, i arrived home last night and am beginning laundry fest 2009 in an attempt to get everything done, see all the people i need to see, and give myself some time to digest everything before moving on to the next adventure that God has chosen for me.

i am truly sad to have left africa, (you can ask the bathroom attendant in the nairobi airport about the cry fest she witnessed from me, sad but true) because i really feel that part of my heart will never leave it, i am sad that i didn't get to spend the last week of our time in Nairobi at the Eastleigh Fellowship Center, but i know my teammates are continuing on and making a difference. on the flipside, i am so excited maybe even a little anxious, as i step into this unknown section of my life, but i know God is bigger and His plans are perfect and i know He didn't lead me here on accident, "for such a time as this..." i want to thank all of you for being encouragers and supporters of my life, my faith, this trip and this next adventure as well.

i would ask you all to keep praying for me, i leave for nashville on sunday for a month of training and then i will head out with 3 other people in a van and travel around the east part of the country (visit the site i posted above, if you haven't already--it tells all about what i will be doing). i will continue to use this blog to keep in touch so keep checking it and i hope to add some more africa pics and stories as well! i will see you all at the end of November!!

No comments: